Thursday, April 12, 2012

Top 5 TV Comedies of The '11-'12 Season

Now I love my TV dramas such as Mad Men, House, True Blood, Burn Notice, etc. But when I watch TV, it's for comedies. Make me laugh heartily and I'll be a fan of your show. This year has actually been a great year for comedy on both network and cable channels. Now while I still adore and watch my self proclaimed "Best comedies on TV" in Curb Your Enthusiasm, Family Guy, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The Office, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, etc. It's the new comedies of only 1-4 seasons that have really shined this year for me.

On-Air Classics
The Big Bang Theory, Season 5, CBS
Community, Season 3, NBC**
Curb Your Enthusiasm, Season 8, HBO
Family Guy, Season 10, FOX
How I Met Your Mother, Season 7, CBS
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Season 7, FX
Modern Family, Season 3, ABC*
The Office, Season 8, NBC

*= For me personally this show is already a classic
**= Only show to make my classic AND top 5 list (Modern Family hit #6)

Honorable Mentions
2 Broke Girls, Season 1, CBS
Archer, Season 3, FX
Louie, Season 2, FX
Up All Night, Season 1, NBC

5. The League, Season 3, FX
Stars: Mark Duplass, Stephen Rannazzisi, Nick Kroll, Paul Scheer, Jon Lajoie, Katie Aselton
I love this show. It's raunchy filth on my TV, WHILE incorporating fantasy football into the mix. The opinions of the characters, situations, and the hilarious phrases and nuances that this show conveys make it a pleasure to watch. My only gripe is that it only gets 13 episodes a season. This is a cruel injustice to the world.


4. Parks and Recreation, Season 4, NBC
Stars: Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, AzizAnsari, Nick Offerman, Aubrey Plaza, Chris Pratt, Rob Lowe, Adam Scott, Jim O'Heir, Retta
P&R is the most veteran show to make my top 5. After fours years of watching this show, I can honestly say it's spurred me on to stand-up, more SNL, and more movies with these character's actors involved. The humor is quick witted and the almost "The Office-like" situations appeal to me highly. Plus, Ron Swanson. Enough said.


3. New Girl, Season 1, FOX
Stars: Zooey Deschanel, Jake Johnson, Max Greenfield, Lamorne Morris, Hannah Simone
I LOVE Zooey Deschanel. Shes super cute, quirky, and funny. I thought that well before this show. I'm not a huge fan of Fox comedies, but this one more than works. They've gotten some nice guests for season 1 (Justin Long and Lizzy Caplain) that really appealed to me as well. The jokes are clever, the roommate chemistry and situations are funny, and did I mention Zooey is adorable?


2. Happy Endings, Season 2, ABC
Stars: Eliza Coupe, Elisha Cuthbert, Zachary Knighton, Adam Pally, Damon Waynes Jr., Casey Wilson
I don't know what spurred me to watch this after Modern Family one night, but I really remember Tweeting out, "I'm going to give #HappyEndings a chance." Boy am I glad I did. This show is phenomenal. Pop culture jokes and references, situations and dialogue that can leave you on the floor laughing, and a solid cast of mostly unknown actors. Also Elisha Cuthbert is smokin'. Side note, I haven't even seen any season 1 episodes.


1. Community, Season 3, NBC
Stars: Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Danny Pudi, Yvette Nicole Brown, Alison Brie, Donald Glover, Ken Jeong, Chevy Chase, Jim Rash
I've said this before and I'll say it again here. This is the best network comedy on TV currently. That NBC put it on mid-season hiatus and may consider canceling it is beyond me. Every theme or parody episode is fantastic. Beyond that the story, characters, dialogue,and bits and perfect. I've never seen a bad episode of this show and I've never not laughed during and episode. #TroyAndAbedHandshake #SixSeasonsAndAMovie

No comments:

Post a Comment