Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man [A Fat Jesus Movie Review]


Let me start this by saying I love the original Sam Raimi trilogy of Spider-Man. Also I just plain LOVE Spider-Man as a character. But Raimi could almost do no wrong in my eyes. Spider-Man 2 is phenomenal. Yes, even Spider-Man 3 and yes I didn't mind Tobey Macguire and Kristen Dunst. But still what the hell was Topher Grace doing as Venom? Get outta here. But this is 2012 and the reboot of that fabled trilogy is upon us. I've been excited about this. I don't mind Andrew Garfield and I think Emma Stone is just adorable. From the trailers and previews I got more excited. So yesterday it came out and bada bing, bada boom, I'm fresh in the theater a couple hours ago. Happy America day to me, haha.

We open with a young Peter Parker playing hide and seek with his father. After looking for him he goes into his office and finds that it's been ransacked. Mr. and Mrs. Parker leave immediately and take young Peter to his Uncle and Aunts house, Ben and May (Martin Sheen and Sally Fields), as they leave from the city. Fast forward and young Peter is now high school Peter (Andrew Garfield). As we should all know by now we're in New York City. Peter is a bit socially awkward, but a brilliant mind nonetheless. Peter saves a kid from a bully and gets beat up by said bully, garnering the attention of Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone) afterward in class. After Peter get's home his Uncle asks him to help move somethings up from the basement which has water-logged. He find his father old briefcase with a hidden compartment with a classified file in it. He does some research that leads him to a scientist at Oscorp Industries, Curt Conners (Rhys Ifans), who used to work with his father. They worked on cross-species genetics experiments. After sneaking in and realizing that Gwen works there as well he begins to snoop around. He breaks into a secure room full of genetically enhanced spiders and they proceed to fall on him. As he slinks back to the group Gwen makes him give back the stolen badge and as he does one of these spiders bites him. The rest of this web can be spun by watching the movie. But can Peter Parker and his newly found powers save New York from the creature known as, The Lizard?

The movie is a long two hours, but I can understand since this is a reboot of a previous franchise and they wanna get some of the main characters and themes introduced and set in our minds. The origin of the spider-bite, Aunt May, Peter Parker, The Lizard, Gwen Stacy and even Norman Osborne is mentioned. Still, this is my first gripe with this movie, is that there are a lot of dragging scenes as well as ones that didn't need to be in. Cut some things in post or shave down scenes, I don't care. Unless there can be a lot of character and involvement, like say in The Avengers, it doesn't need to be two hours. I don't care that Peter can skateboard in an abandoned shipyard or that he uses Bing to search for stuff online. Doesn't need to be in there. We're gonna get my other gripe outta the way right now too. The music, sure the score is decent, very reminiscent of the first trilogy, but some parts are just dumb sounding. Even at one point they turned it into three minutes of a scary movie. I mean I know The Lizard is big and scary looking, but don't try and make me jump in my seat. 

There is good in this movie though! I really liked what they gave to Andrew Garfield, which was a lot, cause he was going to be the one to carry this movie. Martin Sheen was also a bright light in this movie. I've always liked Uncle Ben's character and he played it well. Emma Stone got a few chances to show off her funny side and it worked. While Dennis Leary did what he had too as well as Rhys Ifans. The acting, by everyone was well too. The dialog was horrendous at times. Too much teenage drama. Also there is a lot of over-dramatic scenes. But then it also flips. The scenes with Ben and Peter were solid, and well and the ones involving Gwen, Conners and Peter. Also there are quite a few very good humor spots. Stan Lee is the MAN by the way. The fighting scenes were good as well. I really liked the fight in the school as well as the final fight on the top of Oscorp. The random ones with the thugs and the scene where he messed with the car thief didn't really do it for me though.

All in all I liked this movie. Even with all the bad that was in there was good too. The acting and fights were done well. Change up the music a bit and cut some scenes and this is a good superhero movie. It's too bad it's sandwiched between The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises because this is a solid little flick. I love Spider-Man. Plus Emma Stone. If you have a couple hours and wanna superhero treat, then web sling your way to see this. You might be disappointed, but if you're like me you might be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment