Friday, September 23, 2011

This Week In Song #1

Now most of you know me as an avid rap/hip-hop head, and while that's true I listen to all types of music besides it. Maybe this is to get a little more traffic to my blog, or maybe it's just me wanting to recommend some new music to those of you who actually read this. Whatever the case is, every Friday that I feel like it, along with The Smackdown Lowdown of the night, I'll be doing this. Call it a twist on a week in review, but with just some music. Now I've decided to start this this week, cause of the new music I've listened two, the two new albums I'm digging, and the one I've been playing for the last month in a half have been blasted a lot. There is no ranking or numbers, but when I do this I'll try to keep it a bit more contemporary. Without further adieu here some music for you guys.

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
Now I admittedly don't listen to too much folk music, modern or otherwise, but ever since 2008 and their self titled release Fleet Foxes, they've been on my playlist. Voices are crisp, the msuic is serene, and the guitar strumming is borderline heavenly at times. I describe them something you can't not be happy listening to. I'm loving Helplessness Blues.

Jay-Z & Kanye West- "That's My Bitch"
I heard the leak of the this song way before the summer even started and didn't think of it. But now that I've listened to Watch The Throne at least 40 times, it's quite amazing. It's put right after a inward looking song and the next level of the album beginning. Watch The Throne is chalk full of good singles, I've just been bumping this all week.

J. Cole- Cole World: The Sideline Story
Now I've been listening to J. Cole for years now. His first two mixtapes The Come Up and The Warm Up are as good as you can get for a younger person in rap/hip-hop. And I've been eagerly awaiting this album ever since he, was the first, signed with Jay-Z Roc Nation label. With an album like Cole World: The Sideline Story, I think he could be one of the bigger artists ala Kid Cudi, Pusha T, etc.

Bon Iver- Bon Iver
Now Bon Iver is a folk band, yeah I'm hitting up indie folk bands this week haha, who've been together since 2006. Of course I discovered them when Kanye West sampled them twice of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy ("Monster"/"Lost in the World"). This is just beautiful music, that makes you feel good as you listen to it. "Holocene", which I've inserted above, is just plain amazing music. I can't wait to go back and check out their first album, but for now I'm enjoying the peaceful stylings of their self titled album.

Childish Gambino- "Bonfire"
I, as most people, discovered Donald Glover aka Childish Gambino in 2009 when he started starring as "Troy" on Community. When I investigated further I found out he rapped on the side. He had just released his Poindexter album earlier in the year and aside from the accent dude could spit. When his I Am Just A Rapper EPs hit I fell in love with him and then The CULDESAC dropped and it was my #2 album of the year last year (Behind My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy). Now, he just released this track "Bonfire", which is the first single off his upcoming album Camp. Indie rap is where it's at everyone is saying, they're right if they're talking about Gambino.

No comments:

Post a Comment