Thursday, September 27, 2012

2012 Comedy Season Count-Down: Week #1

Well I've decided to do a run down, each week of all the comedies that I watch on the ole television  I figure since my first full week of watching them ended last night with Modern Family's premiere I'd rank all the ones I watched.  Both new and old are on this list. Season one premieres have their own little section compared to established shows. Rating are on a scale of 1 to 5 and blah blah. As shows premiere such as Big Bang Theory, Community, It's Always Sunny, etc, they will be added to the next weeks blog post. I hope to have these up Wednesday nights or Thursday afternoon each week.

----------

Guys With Kids (Season 1): 0/5
Literally, in the 4 minutes I watched of this I hated all the characters and didn't even smile. I never wanna see this again. Anthony Anderson used to be fat and funny. Now he's skinny and not. I highly dislike this show.

Partners (Season 1): 1/5
This has Sophia Bush, which is good. But this show, about a straight man and his gay best friend (and their subsequent PARTNERS), just isn't funny. While I saw Sophia in yoga pants, that's not enough to get me to watch again.

Ben and Kate (Season 1) 2/5
The first new show I tolerated and chuckled at at times. Ben and Kate follows the story of Ben and Kate. Durr. They are brother and sister. She has "grown" up and had a kid, while he's still struggling with life. Now Ben is back home and dysfunction ensues. It got a few laughs out of me. This is a very shaky show and can easily drop to one I won't watch.

Animal Practice (Season 1) 2/5
Justin Kirk is a delight on Weeds and was always pretty funny. I like the concept of this show about a dysfunctional animal hospital. It follows the story of a head doctor at said hospital with a woman coming in to co-run the company. There's a doctor who's a monkey and Nick Swisher's hot wife. I laughed a bit at this.

The Mindy Project (Season 1) 2/5
I've been watching The Office since season 1 and I think that's partly why I gave this show a chance. I'm glad I did. Mindy Kaling is quite funny in her show where she plays a doctor struggling with patients, life, and self image. Cameos by Bill Hader and Ed Helms made my night when I watched this. Also the main cast has some truly laugh out loud moments.

----------

Two Broke Girls (Season 2, Episode 1): 2.5/5
If you're not familiar with Two Broke Girls, it's about a brash waitress and her friend (also now a waitress) who just lost all of her fortune. They decide to work together to try to start a cupcake business and get on their feet. In the season premiere we finally get to meet Caroline's father who is in prison, with Max unintentionally liking someone upon first meeting. Kat Dennings is usually the only one to get me with one liners and there were some good ones this episode.

How I Met Your Mother (Season 8, Episode 1): 2.5/5
Do I even need to run down the plot of this veteran show? In the season premiere, Barney has to deal with Quinn finding out that he used to date Barney, Ted is dealing with breaking up a marriage for an old flame, and Lily and Marshall are dealing with no sleep and their new born baby. A lot of dealing I'd gander. I tuned out after Barney's 52 second tale of him and Robin. Lily and Marshall kept me interested too. Solid return.


Tosh.0 (Season 4, Episode 21, Fall Premiere): 3/5
Daniel Tosh is always a riot. I don't think I've ever seen a Tosh.0 show or any of his stand-up that doesn't bring a smile to my face or makes me laugh. This episode Tosh gives his opinions of a gorilla eating a giant green shit, gives a Web Redemption to a white kid that wore black face for a Martin Luther King project and trans his staff for the rest of season four.

Up All Night (Season 2, Episode 1): 3/5
Entering it's second season, Up All Night is a show that I really like. Maya Rudolph is a hilarious person, just look at her SNL days. The always great Will Arnett and the lovely Christina Applegate have a great on-screen chemistry. In the premiere we find out that the Ava show has been cancelled, that Reagan has to decide what do with her life now and that Chris and Reagen's brother Scott, are going into business together.

Modern Family (Season 4, Episode 1): 3/5
At this point Modern Family is God-tier for me. I've invested three years into a family I've grown to love. Entering it's fourth season, I'm hoping the best show on ABC can keep it's magic. A big development kicks off this year as we find out that Gloria is pregnant and hasn't told Jay. Cam and Mitchell are dealing with Lily wanting a little brother and/or a cat named Larry. Also Phil must kidnap Jay for a day out and Claire must teach Haley that her boyfriend Dylan can't live with them at home. This was a solid enough opening. A couple of hilarious moments. I hope it kicks into a better gear though. Needs more Luke and Phil moments, and knowing the writers, we'll get them.

South Park (Season 16, episode 8, Fall Premiere): 4/5
I don't always watch new South Park episodes, but I happened to catch this weeks fall premiere. Oh God am I glad I did. Randy is angry because the school is taking away the kick-offs from the football games so students don't get hurt. He sarcastically tells the school's staff at a PTA meeting of a game called "Sarcastaball" and they take him seriously. Now we have what may be the worst sport ever, led by a completely sarcastic Randy Marsh, and what (unfortunately) leads to Butter's Creamy Goo. From what I already mentioned to a Jim Rome cameo and Butter's learning about erections. This episode was a complete riot.

The Office (Season 9, Episode 1): 4/5
Another veteran show I have no need to explain. The Office is entering it's final season and the last year at Dunder Mifflin is primed to be a riot. They've added the hilarious Clarke Duke to the cast as well. We start the final season with Kevin trying to save a turtle he ran over, Andy is back at boss and we get to hear this behind the scenes (for the first time) of the people filming talking about what they want to continue to do. I like the start. This is one of the shows that can do no wrong in my eyes.

New Girl (Season 2, Episodes 1 and 2): 5/5
Oh man, this show has me hooked. I love every character and it's a rare first season show that go a full schedule and did great with every episode. Zooey Deschanel is also damn adorable. If you're unfamiliar it follows the lives of four roommates, Jess, Nick, Schmidt and Winston, living in LA. Jess' best friend, Cece, who is also a model is always hanging around too. We start this season with Jess losing her teaching job and Schmidt getting his penis cast removed and throwing a reintroduction party for it. In the second part of the premiere Jess meets up win someone who mistakes her for his blind date but also agrees to go out with someone she met at Nicks bar. Also Winston's sister, mom and WNBA team is in town and Schmidt is determined to hook-up with Winston's sister. I love this show and I was laughing throughout both episodes. A fantastic season two start off.

Parks and Recreation (Season 4, Episode 1): 5/5
Parks and Recreation is easily the best show on NBC, and I think on-air right now. With the same style as The Office, it's primed to take over once it ends this season. Amy Poehler has really grown into Leslie Knope and over the last three seasons everyone has grown into their own. There isn't a character I don't like and people like Ron Swanson and Andy Dwyer make this show a comedy riot. In the season premiere Leslie and Andy take a trip to Washington DC to meet up with Ben and April who have been working there for awhile. Meanwhile back in Pawnee Ron is put in charge of hosting the annual employee appreciation barbecue. I don't think there was a scene that didn't have me laughing at multiple things. Between New Girl and this, it was a good week for comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment