Monday, October 15, 2012

Halloween Movie Month 2 [Silent Hill]


I love the Silent Hill video game franchise, it was the first horror game I played as a kid. Needless to say I was scared and traumatized and forever entrenched! So when I heard they were adapting a movie based off of  the games I was excited  but wary. Most games or books turned into movies are just plain bad, but I'm glad I gave this a shot.

We open Silent Hill with Rose and Christopher Da Silva (Radha Mitchell and Sean Bean), a wife and husband, who are concerned about their adoptive daughter Sharon (Jodelle Ferland), as she's begun to sleepwalk and call out "Silent Hill" while she's doing it. Rose decides to take Sharon to Silent Hill to try resolve this issue. On the way in she is begun to be followed police officer Cybil Bennett (Laurie Holden). She sees a little girl in the road and swerves out of the way and crashes. When Rose awakens, Sharon is gone and a fogs has descended and ash is now covering the ground. Rose beings to wander around this town looking for her daughter and discovers a place filled with more twisted and demented things and people than she ever thought imaginable.

This was decent enough mind-fuck of a movie for me. The town projected, at the time, was projected to a film, was beautiful. It got the look of the series down and impressed me. The acting was alright. I really got into the parents and I liked Rose, played by Radha Mitchell, a lot. The horror was very similar to the video games, which I really liked, so it all worked. The story was good as it had to incorporate elements from the first four games. The twist  as I said, was a mind-fuck for me, and pretty good in the end. There were problems in this though. The movie was long and it felt like they tired to incorporate too much into it. A lot of dragging scenes and it also felt like they tried to jam too much of the Silent Hill's game into the movie.

I partly watched this cause Silent Hill: Revelation is coming out and I may go see it, and remembered it being okay the first time i watched it. I love the games series and this is still solid. If you can get past the length and the unnecessary scenes there's a solid story to be told with some good scares. One of the better adaptions turned into a movie, I think.


----------

Halloween Movie Month 2! Movie #1: Halloween II
Halloween Movie Month 2! Movie #2: The Devil's Rejects
Halloween Movie Month 2! Movie #3: Friday the 13th Part II
Halloween Movie Month 2! Movie #4: Scream 2
Halloween Movie Month 2! Movie #5: Evil Dead 2: Dead Before Dawn
Halloween Movie Month 2! Movie #6: Trick 'r Treat
Halloween Movie Month 2! Movie #7: Planet Terror
Halloween Movie Month 2! Movie #8: SAW III
Halloween Movie Month 2! Movie #9: The Cabin in the Woods
Halloween Movie Month 2! Movie #10: Barricade
Halloween Movie Month 2! Movie #11: The Collector
Halloween  Movie Month 2! Movie #12: Hostel

No comments:

Post a Comment