Sunday, February 14, 2010

Top 10 "Love" Songs in My Collection

Yeah might as well, do a V-day blog. Here's my Tops 10 "Love" Songs in my music collection. I'm sure their not what your expecting, but I'm doing this anyway.

#10 Maroon 5- "Sunday Morning"- Easily Maroon 5's best song and paints a visual, and emotional picture of the Sunday Morning after finding your club-love, or however it happened the Saturday night before. Sultry singing, great slow pace, great gituar work, make this a love song for a married couple of 10 years waking up together Sunday morning, or even that passionate one-night stand that you both know will go nowhere.

#9 The Fray- "Enough For Now"- Love songs don't strictly have to be about marriage or boyfriends/girlfriends. I also consider a persons parents, or finding them after years of resentment, like in this Fray song. What I love about The Fray, their self titled album, is that every song tells a story. And this one is the best, easily. It's a man singing to his girl, about trying to fill in the gaps her father didn't. It's the ultimate sacrifice of a man to try and fill in a woman's life for her father, and that's love to me.

#8 The Notorious B.I.G- "Big Poppa"- The first one on my list that is specifically about club love as I'm calling it. Biggie is one of the best rappers ever, no doubt about that. But, if he wanted to bring it back and do a slow song for the ladies he could. His first of two famous slow songs, "Big Poppa", is a rap-ballad that shows off his skills, his possessions, his love for women and the fact he loved to be called "Big Poppa"..kinky. It also hinted at the fact that there were in fact ladies out there he'd wanna be with, and eventually have kids with.

#7 Lady Gaga- "Monster"- Now I'd bet you'd think me, as an avid Gaga fan would pick "Lovegame" or "Bad Romance" over this. But truthfully, I think this is Gaga's best song to date. Like every Lady Gaga song, it's catchy as all hell. I think it's about one of Gaga's former relationships that went south, because he turned into a monster. And although people don't like admit it, people out there don't like V-Day for this reason in this song. She met him in the club, they danced and got together, and then it went bad. Great vocals, great lyrics, and a great anti-love message this V-Day. Did I mention I love Gaga?

#6 Taylor Swift- "Love Story"- Easily the breakout pop/country singer of 2009. My God any and every song that comes out of this girls mouth could be a hit single. This is a semi-modern country twist to Romeo and Juliette with a fairy-tale ending. He likes her, she likes, him the father doesn't like her, end the end they get to get married and live happily ever after. That's the song, nothing special, but with Taylor's voice and that pop infused with country twist makes it an instant classic. Plus it helps when Taylor is very beautiful, and very humble.

#5 Jay-Z- "Venus vs Mars"- 'Bout time we hit some more rap on the list. And Jay has cemented his legacy in the rap game as we all know. Sure he has 99 problems and a b**** ain't one, but it doesn't mean he can't write a love song. I considered "Girls, Girls, Girls" and "Bonnie and Clyde 03" before narrowing it to this. I choose this because he contrasts the fact that him and his shorty may have differences, in a lot of aspects in life, but it doesn't mean he's gonna drop her because of it. Love mean accepting your partner even if you disagree on things. Good job Hov.

#4 Tupac- "Dear Mama"- Arguably the best rapper to live. And you know how earlier, I put in The Fray song about fathers, well this is exact opposite, it's Tupac lovin' on his mother. And what's V-Day if you can't send love out to your mother. Even at their families lowest point he knew his mom was always trying to help him and his brother out and at Pac's his lowest she was there for him. I considered Kanye West's "Hey Mama", but I didn't want an artist with two songs on the list. Send out love to your mother's on V-Day, but also appreciate and love them everyday.

#3 Kanye West ft. Jamie Foxx- "Gold Digger"-Now Matt, how you gonna put Gold Digger so high on a V-Day, love song list? I can because that's what most women are out for on V-Day, to be able to get free s***, for no reason, and go out and make their man pay up the a** on them for no reason except for fake love, or to try and stay with them. Hell I've heard of some b****es that get with a guy just to be with someone on V-Day. WTF?!?!? You all know the song so theirs no need for me to explain it at all. These are the people that give the already weak "holiday" a bad rep. Gold Diggers rejoice, you just had your best day out of the year.

#2 The Beatles- "All You Need is Love"- The ultimate love song. Happy V-Day world. We can do anything, sing anything, say anything, and as long as we have almighty love we'll be alright. If the whole world could just learn this song, I'm sure we'd be a lot better off. Not that I'm a hippie, world peace junkie, but he'll if we were kinder and loved each other a little more I'm sure we'd all be happier. Well done, Beatles your most likely the best band ever and this is even up there as one of the top songs ever.

#1 The Lonely Island- "Dreamgirl"- Now you know I love comedy, and this is the best comedy/love song I've ever heard. Despite every personal, psychical and emotional problem, you have a man (or three) that love you even if they mistake you for a bag of trash or are scared of getting stabbed by you in your sleep. The ultimate in love is that your taken as the "hell-bound turkey mixed with a baboon" that you are. Now, all you readers, if The Lonely Island can love like that, surely you can too.

Well there's my Top 10, like it or hate it. There's moms, dads, lovers, monsters, trash-bags, and gold diggers. Hope you liked it and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment