Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cop Out [A Fat Jesus Movie Review]

Cop Out opened this weekend and with the exception of Shutter Island it's one of the first movies I wanted to see that came out in 2010. Due to me not being able to find a good torrent for Shutter Island yet, Cop Out is the first movie in theaters I've seen in 2010. The Crazies is the third movie I wanna see cause it's a Romero remake, it'd better please and attempt to frighten me.

Anywho onto the movie. It's directed by Kevin Smith, probably my favorite director/actor ever, So you know it's gonna be unconventional. We start out with Jimmy (Bruce Willis) and Paul (Tracy Morgan). We find out it's the 9 year anniversary of them being partners. They ruin an undercover operation and get a 30-day no pay suspension. But Jimmy has to pay for his daughter Ava's (Michelle Trachtenburg) wedding so he needs the money. He can't do anything about it so he decides to sell is vintage baseball card, worth about 80k, to pay for the wedding and have 30ishK left over for himself. As Jimmy is selling the card in a card shop, two thieves bust in and taze the owner and Jimmy, stealing all the money and valuables. All the while Jimmy is outside trying to get a hold of his wife Debbie (Rashida Jones), cause he always thinks she's cheating on him. The rest of the movie is Jimmy and Paul trying to get the vintage card back so his Ex-Wife's new husband Roy (Jason Lee), doesn't pay for the wedding. Along the way they meet a parkour thief (Sean William Scott), a girl from Mexico whose been in a trunk for two days (Ana de la Reguera), and a Mexican drug-lord [who loves baseball] and wants to expand his practice.

My thoughts, it was funny as hell. I know it's not gonna win any Oscars or anything. But really, what comedies really do anymore? I think this is the best Bruce Willis movie I've ever seen. Yes, better than Die Hard 1/3. His seriousness, in a funny demeanor, to counter act Tracy's bat craziness is amazing. And in some of the scenes with Tracy/Sean his facial expressions and him playing along make the scene even better. If Tracy Morgan could get into a serious role he'd bore me to death. But let him bring his crazy self into a Kevin Smith comedy and give him a gun. It's pure gold in my book. Sean William Scott is the last guy I'm talking about. Him and Tracy in every scene are funny as all hell together, espically when they get on the same page and "homo" it up. Not to mention when when he's in the jail cell and repeating everything the bad-ass sweater knitter says it was pure awesome. I've watched My Name is Earl seasons 1-4 in the past month so seeing Jason Lee back on the screen was a nice surprise too.

Anywho I see that Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic have given this movie bad rating. 20% and 32% respectively. But I disagree I think, while it was cliche almost the whole movie, the average story combined with Willis/Morgan/Scott's on screen chemistry made it an ok flick. I may be a little biased toward Kevin Smith, but it doesn't mean it's not a good comedy to watch 2-3 times a year. Now go onward and laugh your ass off at Tracy Morgan playing an insane cop.

Rating for Cop Out: 6/10 or 3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment