Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Academy Awards 2010 Thoughts and Predictions

I'd like to say I'm a entertainment connoisseur, so you'd expect the blog from me. So I'm not going to disappoint. I've seen most of the movies (and 9 out of 10 best picture nominees :D) that are being nominated for awards at this years Oscars. So I'm going to give you my predictions on who's going to win in the major categories, probably some thoughts to go along with my choices too.

Best Picture-
Avatar
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

Who I want to win: Inglourious Basterds or Up. Why, because Basterds is the best written, cleverest, action-filled film of the year and it deserves the best picture award. The bar scene is my favorite scene of the year and could win short film of the year if Qarantino put it out as a short film alone. Haha. The only other one I would accept winning is Up. Clearly Disney's best movie in the last five years and keeps the young one attention with color and cute comedy, and keeps the older audience engaged too with it's mature storyline and love for the characters.

Who is gonna win: Avatar. Why because the Oscars are paid off, and cause Cameron made the flick perfect in every way, well accept for the story, and acting that is. But to be best picture now-a-days you just need to make a crap ton of money. Anywho if it loses I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Darkhorse: A Serious Man. I loved this movie, actually anything Joel and Ethan Coen put out I adore. So it's no surprise I'd be happy if it won. The second best written film of the year.

Actor in a Leading Role:
Jeff Bridges [Crazy Heart]
George Clooney [Up in the Air]
Colin Firth [A Single Man]
Morgan Freeman [Invictus]
Jeremy Renner [The Hurt Locker]

Who I want to win: George Clooney or Jeremy Rinner. Clooney was exceptional in Up in the Air, and if there weren't other great films out in 2009 this this had a good shot at winning best picture. Anywho Clooney was smart, funny, and intelligent through and that made it a pleasure to watch. I loved Hurt Locker and Jeremy Renner was so believable as the army man having disarmed over 800 bomb, he kept it real, and he acted well.

Who is gonna win: George Clooney or Jeff Bridges. Clooney for reasons above. Bridges I hear has had one of his best performances in Crazy Heart. Though I've yet to see it, I hear it's quite a good flick. So I won't be surprised if he wins.

Actor in a Supporting Role:
Matt Damon [Invictus]
Woody Harrelson [The Messenger]
Christopher Plummer [The Last Station]
Stanley Tucci [The Lovely Bones]
Christoph Waltz [Inglourious Basterds]

Who I want to win: Christoph Waltz. I'd say Harrelson cause I like him, but I've only seen him in Zombieland this year not The Messenger. Anywho, I thought on the Nazi side in Basterds Waltz did a superb job. The opening scene is superbly done and I'd watch it over and over again.

Who is gonna win: Christoph Wlatz. For reasons listed above.

Actress in a Leading Role:
Sandra Bullock [The Blind Side]
Helen Mirren [The Last Station]
Carey Mulligan [An Education]
Gabourey Sidibe [Precious]
Meryl Streep [Julie & Julia]

Who I want to win: Carey Mulligan or Sandra Bullock. An Education astounded me when I watched it. Carey played such a good role in this movie where there was heartbreak, laughter, joy and sadness. It's amazing this young lady did this well. Also Sandra Bullock is a little over hyped in Blind Side, but I enjoyed it. Cause it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. Plus I generally like football movies to boot.

Who is gonna win: Meryl Streep or Gabourey Sidibe. I really don't expect Streep to win, cause Julie and Julia was a weak Oscar worthy movie. But I wouldn't put it past them to give it to a veteran like her. Also, This chick in Precious is getting quite a lot of buzz as another young, great actress. I'm watch Precious in a bit*, but I can already say I don't want her to win.

*Never mind, got a lot of bad feedback on it. I'll watch it tomorrow though. No time today, no need to rush at all.

Actress in a Supporting Role:
Penélope Cruz [Nine]
Vera Farmiga [Up in the Air]
Maggie Gyllenhaal [Crazy Heart]
Anna Kendrick [Up in the Air]
Mo'Nique [Precious]

Who I want to win: Vera Farmiga or Anna Kendrick. Yes they are both from the same movie. And yes I think either one of them deserve the Oscar. Really on simple reason, they made George Clooney look great. They made him have a younger fun side, and they made him have an older mature side. All in the same good movie.

Who is gonna win: Mo'Nique. According to everyone on the planet and numerous other awards shows, her acting in that movie was perfect. Too bad Precious is the only Best Picture nominee I haven't seen, and it's mostly cause I don't like, and probably never will, Mo'Nique. Sorry that just how it is.

Animated Feature:
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Princess and the Frog
The Secret of Kells
Up

Who I want to win: Up. As said before, it hasn't changed, "Clearly Disney's best movie in the lest five years and keeps the young one attention with color and cute comedy, and keeps the older audience engaged too with it's mature storyline and love for the characters."

Who is gonna win: Coraline and Up. I liked Coraline just fine, it was story heavy, well voiced, good plot, and had great animation. But, I don't like dark and evil in my animated movies. Now I'm not saying it isn't good, it great (Just Nightmare, Peach, etc.) I just like a more lifting animated experience.

Directing:
James Cameron [Avatar]
Kathryn Bigelow [The Hurt Locker]
Quentin Tarantino [Inglourious Basterds]
Lee Daniels [Precious]
Jason Reitman [Up in the Air]

Who I want to win: Quentin Tarantino or Jason Reitman. Have I not praised these two movies enough? It should be obvious QT gets the Oscar cause his directing of The Basterds, is far better than all the others up there. Jason Reitman also did a great job on his first movie and seeing him win, wouldn't make me mad or sad at all.

Who is gonna win: James Cameron. Sure the CGI was great, but is that all we're rating films on now-a-days? The most cliche plot EVER has 80%+ fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. The alright acting, not good or great like in the rest of the movies, just meh. I'll be mad if he gets anything besides the arts awards.

Writing (Adapted Screenplay):
District 9 [Written by Neill Blomkamp and Terri Tatchell]
An Education [Screenplay by Nick Hornby]
In the Loop [Screenplay by Jesse Armstrong/Simon Blackwell/Armando Iannucci/Tony Roche]
Precious [Screenplay by Geoffrey Fletcher]
Up in the Air [Screenplay by Jason Reitman and Sheldon Turner]

Who I want to win: An Education, District 9, or Up in the Air. Simply cause I liked them all, nothing more nothing less. Solid, good 2009 writing.

Who is gonna win: Precious or An Education. Both for obvious reasons. Precious is HUGE of the book version if it and An Education is a great coming of age film. Although I don't know what it's based off of.

Writing (Original Screenplay):
The Hurt Locker [Written by Mark Boal]
Inglourious Basterds [Written by Quentin Tarantino]
The Messenger [Written by Alessandro Camon & Oren Moverman]
A Serious Man [Written by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen]
Up [(Screenplay by Bob Peterson/Pete Docter) (Story by Pete Docter/Bob Peterson/Tom McCarthy )]

Who I want to win: Inglourious Basterds or A Serious Man. Again same as above, but this stuff is original and the best of the five listed. Either one winning would make me very happy.

Who is gonna win: Inglourious Basterds or A Serious Man. I don't think theres too much room for error by the Academy Awarders in this category, cause there's really only the good written films, and their the ones I've picked. There ya go. Bada-bing bada-boom.

Overall I think it should only an ok Oscars. And really only 5 movies should be in the best picture category, not 10. Oscar people get you act together.Anywho, because it's the biggest movie show of the year, and because I love movies I'm watching it. But I'm not playing into your James Cameron is the best director ever bull-s***.

No comments:

Post a Comment